Monday, January 20, 2014

Memphis: Part 2 (MLK Day)

Happy Monday, friends!  It's a very happy Monday for me, as I survived the drive back from Memphis and now I am enjoying a day off from work for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday today.  It sure is nice to have a day off after being gone for a week.

Anyways, while we were in Memphis, we went to the Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine motel. What better day than today to post about this visit? It was so neat to see this historical site and all of the artifacts with it.  I'm not sure if you already know or not, but the Lorraine is where MLK was killed by a shooter.  We were able to see where the shooter was, which was across Mulberry street in a bathroom that had clear view of the balcony where MLK was standing. The window that the shooter had cracked for his rifle is still cracked today.  We also went up to the balcony where MLK last stood before being shot, he had stayed in room 306, which was were he often stayed when in Memphis.  Being there in the exact place made the historical moment of time real.  It was quite remarkable to see exactly how the event happened.  Of course in school, I learned about MLK, but seeing and reading about location, artifacts, etc. gave me a deeper understanding.




On Friday of our trip, we went to Graceland.  I've never been a huge Elvis fan, but it was fun to tour the mansion and see lots of Elvis' "stuff"... more on that next post, but for now I will leave you with this:





post signature

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect post for today! I can only imagine how emotional that visit was.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you! --Brooke